January 7, 2009

7-Herb Congee (Nana-Kusa Gayu)/七草粥




Today is January 7th. This is the day when we are supposed to have nanakusa gayu (7-herb congee). I wanted to make congee by using only the daikon leaves that were in the freezer, but my son insisted that we have traditional 7-herb congee. So, I had to go shopping to get a pack of seven herbs.
今日は1月7日。七草粥を食べる日です。冷蔵庫にある大根葉だけでお粥を作りたかったのですが、息子が本当の七草粥を食べたいとうるさいので、買い物をして、七草のパックを買ってきました。
The seven herbs are:
Water dropwort (seri, Oenanthe javanica)
Shepherd's purse (nazuna)
Cudweed (gogyō, Gnaphalium affine)
Chickweed (hakobera, Stellaria media)
Nipplewort (hotokenoza, Lapsana apogonoides)
Turnip (suzuna)
Daikon (suzushiro)
from here
七草とは、せり、なずな、ごぎょう、はこべら、ほとけのざ、すずな、すずしろです。
Making congee from scratch (using uncooked rice) is rather cumbersome, so I usually make it from previously cooked rice.
お粥を最初から(お米を使って)作るのは面倒なので、私は普通、ご飯で作ります。
Leftover congee:
残りのお粥:

3 comments:

Nancy Heller said...

Let's see the congee!

Hiroyuki said...

Nancy Heller: I edited the post to include another photo and some description.

Nancy Heller said...

That looks scrumptious! I never thought of using cooked rice to make congee - great idea!