June 20, 2012

Cornbread/コーンブレッド


My cornbread is more like hoe cake or Johnnycake than cornbread.
I wanted to buy some cornmeal, but the imported food shop didn't carry it, so I bought some corn grits.

400 g (600 ml) corn grits (or cornmeal)
600 ml milk
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
Note that my recipe does not call for sugar or flour.

Mix them all in a mixing bowl.  The resulting mixture is very runny.

私のコーンブレッドは、コーンブレッドと言うより、ホーケーキ、ジョニーケーキのようなものです。

コーンミールを買いたかったのですが、輸入食品の店になかったので、コーングリッツを買いました。

コーングリッツ(コーンミール) 400 g (600 ml)
牛乳 600 ml
卵 2個
塩 小さじ1
ベーキングパウダー 小さじ1
注: 私のレシピには砂糖も小麦粉も入っていません。

全てボールに入れ、混ぜます。とても水っぽい状態です。
I used two 18-cm frying pans.  I first put a very small amount of oil in each pan, and then poured three ladleful of the mixture to each pan, and put on the lid.  The heat must be very low.
18センチのフライパンを2つ使いました。まず、油をごく少量、各フライパンに入れ、コーングリッツや牛乳を混ぜた物をお玉に三杯分入れて、蓋をしました。火はごく弱火にします。
Flip over in about 3 minutes.  To do so, I used a plate:  Slide onto the plate, and return to the frying pan, with the top side down.
約3分後、ひっくり返します。私はお皿を使いました。すべらせてお皿に乗せ、上部を下にして、フライパンに戻します。
Et voila!
こうなります。
Put on the lid, and heat for another 2-3 min. until done.
蓋をして、もう2、3分、火が通るまで加熱します。
About 1 cm thick.
厚さは1 cm程度です。 
I made four of them in total.
全部で4枚作りました。

If you are interested to know authentic Southern style cornbread, I recommend visiting this thread on eGullet.
本格的な南部風のコーンブレッドについて知りたければ、eGulletのこの
スレッドをお薦めします。

11 comments:

muskratbyte said...

This is an interesting method for making cornbread! I usually bake mine; I prefer more of a corn meal taste, but find I need to use at least a little flour for it to hold together well. Otherwise its too crumbly. But then my cornbread is about 2 1/2" thick. This looks delicious! Do you slather it in butter?

Corn meal here is cheap and available in any grocery store. I could send you a large bag if you like!

Stacy said...

I like this post and the very authentic cornbread post on eGullet! I'm sure the cornbread I make is very inauthentic but I enjoy it. :) I use a 2:1 ratio with normal flour and cornmeal because I enjoy very light cornbread. I often bake them in muffin tins so I can bring them for snacks at work.

Hiroyuki said...

muskratbyte: No, I can have it with no butter, jam, or honey. I want to enjoy the flavor of corn!

Thank you for your kind offer, but I guess the shipping charges would far exceed the price of the contents!

I am glad that this pack of 400 g corn grits (457 yen) did not fail to satisfy me.

Hiroyuki said...

Stacy: My way of making cornbread is basically the same as that of making pancakes. In an oven-less kitchen, I can't find any good alternatives.

Hiroyuki said...

Correction: The pack of 400 g corn grits cost 267 yen.

Sissi said...

This sounds very exotic to me. I have never tasted any cornbread. I don't think I have ever seen corn grits here either (only cornmeal).

Hiroyuki said...

Sissi: If you think of polenta, you won't find cornbread very exotic. I like this "no sugar and no flour" recipe the best, but I'm thinking of other uses of corn grits/cornmeal.

Fräulein Trude said...

I think this is a very good yet ancient method to make cornbread. Must be great with a meat stew.

Hiroyuki said...

Kiki: Must be great with anything, but we ate it as a snack just like rice crackers and buiscuits.

Nerd Mom said...

I remember that cornbread thread over at egullet! I'm MomOfLittleFoodies over there.

Those are very pretty Johnny Cakes. Mine always turn out kind of dry.

The price you paid for the corn grits is about the same as what I pay here in California... regular corn meal is a little cheaper. The grits are what is used to make polenta.

Hiroyuki said...

Nerd Mom: You were?! I had no idea you were MomOfLittleFoodies there!

Thank you for the price information! I guess I don't have to worry about the markup so much.