November 29, 2012

Pickled Shougoin Daikon/聖護院大根の漬け物

I made a senmai zuke-style pickle, using the other half of the shougoin daikon that my father had sent us.
Senmai = Thousand slices
Zuke < Tsukeru = To pickle
Senmai zuke is a specialty of Kyoto, and is made of shougoin kabu (turnips), not shougoin daikon.
I tried this recipe (Japanese only).
父がくれた聖護院大根のもう半分で、千枚漬け風の漬物を作りました。
千枚漬けとは、京都の特産で、聖護院大根ではなく、聖護院蕪(カブ、かぶ)を使って作ります。
このレシピ(日本語のみ)を試しました。

Turnips, 1 kg when peeled
100 g sugar
75 cc vinegar
25 g salt
1-2 red peppers, chopped
Appropriate amount of kombu, thinly sliced
かぶ‥‥1kg(皮をむいた状態)
砂糖‥‥100g
酢‥‥75cc
塩‥‥25g
赤唐辛子(小口切り)‥‥1~2本
薄切り昆布‥‥適量

Peel daikon and cut crosswise into 2-mm thick slices.
大根は皮をむき、横に切り、2ミリ厚のスライスにします。

Put all ingredients in an I-wrap bag, rub well, and let sit in the fridge for 3 hours or longer.
材料を全てアイラップに入れ、よくもんで、冷蔵庫に3時間以上置いておきます。
Not bad, but I may add some more additional seasonings to make it taste better.
悪くはないですが、もっと美味しくするため、もと他の調味料を入れるかもしれません。

7 comments:

Sissi said...

It sounds fantastic! Is it slightly hot? I must try it one day (although it would be with standard daikon...).

Hiroyuki said...

Kiki: Why not use turnips? (laugh)

Fräulein Trude said...

I made nearly the same recipe using medium small white turnips not radish - my recipe is from a japanese cooking book. The interesting part: The turnips are not cut into slices but cut (very complicated) into equal slender sticks from the upper end to the bottom part, but the bottom part is not cut through. The turnips are than soaked in a bag with the pickling marinade and after soaking the soft sticks fall and the turnip looks like a blossom / pompom (chrysanthemums). Very tasty.

Hiroyuki said...

Kiki: Aha, kikka giri or kikuka giri (菊花切り), which can be achieved easily by placing two chopsticks.
Here is a video:
http://howcollect.jp/article/1086

Fräulein Trude said...

Yes, 菊花切り I used the chopsticks too. Nice trick isn't it. But I prepared smaller turnips. So no need to cut the turnips into pieces. Each turnip turned into a flower.

muskratbyte said...

I wanted to try your recipe. Several of the last ingredients are written in Japanese. Can you tell me what the rest of the ingredients are?

Thanks!

Hiroyuki said...

muskratbyte: I wanted to answer your question, but they are the only ingredients:
Turnips, 1 kg when peeled
100 g sugar
75 cc vinegar
25 g salt
1-2 red peppers, chopped
Appropriate amount of kombu, thinly sliced
かぶ‥‥1kg(皮をむいた状態)
砂糖‥‥100g
酢‥‥75cc
塩‥‥25g
赤唐辛子(小口切り)‥‥1~2本
薄切り昆布‥‥適量