January 24, 2013

Lunch at the Izakaya/居酒屋で昼食

The izakaya, which opened late last year, has started to offer a lunch menu since this week.  You can select from five main dishes, and you can have as much of five or more different side dishes as you can and drink as much of a variety of soft and hot drinks as you can, all for 890 yen in the lunch opening sale period (990 yen after the period).
Again, it was hard not to go to the izakaya.  Today, I went there around noon, together with three acquaintances.
去年末にオープンした居酒屋が今週からランチメニューを始めました。5種類のメイン料理から一つ選べ、五品以上のおかずが食べ放題、ソフトドリンクとホットドリンクが飲み放題。全て込みでランチオープニングセール期間は890円(以降は990円)。
再び、この居酒屋に行かないほうが無理です。今日、昼頃、三人の知り合いと一緒に行って来ました。

One of the acquaintances and I selected a donburi.  Today's donburi was a hamburger don.
知り合いの一人と私は丼(どんぶり)を頼みました。今日の丼(どんぶり)はハンバーグ丼(どん)でした。
Large and thick hamburger, topped with lots of several types of mushroom and vegetable.
大きくて厚いハンバーグに、数種類のきのこと野菜が乗っています。

Another selected spaghetti.
もう一人はスパゲティーを選びました。
The last person selected omurice.
最後の一人はオムライスを頼みました。
"Tampopo" style omurice, I suppose.
「たんぽぽ」風のオムライスだと思います。

Side dishes:
おかず:
Miso soup with lots of mushrooms in it:
きのこが一杯入った味噌汁:
I have a feeling that the owner/chef of this izakaya likes mushrooms.  That's good for me, because I like mushrooms, too!
この居酒屋のオーナーシェフは、きのこが好きなような気がします。私もきのこが好きなので、いいことです!

Gratin:
グラタン:
Self-service drink area, called "drink bar" in JAPANESE:
セルフサービスの飲み物コーナー、日本語では「ドリンクバー」と言います:
The master/chef allowed me to take a photo of him.
マスターシェフは写真を撮らせてくれました。
Sorry, blurry.  I took another one.
ピンボケでした。もう一枚撮りました。
All in all, a very satisfying meal.
全体的に見て、とても満足できる料理でした。


11 comments:

Ruminating Roy said...

It looks like a very relaxing place, Hiroyuki! When we are able, my wife and I like to go to Kome in Austin, Texas. It's more a blending of izakaya and sushiya than what I originally expected, but the owners (coming from Osaka) demand quality and friendliness from their staff, and even fly fish in from Tsukiji on a near daily basis (their webpage is www.kome-austin.com in case you are curious).

Hiroyuki said...

Ruminating Roy: Yes, it is a relaxing place, and we all enjoyed the lunch.

You are lucky if you have both izakaya and sushiya in one!

Thanks for the link. Prices are reasonable, aren't they?

Ruminating Roy said...

Prices are more than fair, once you consider the imported or freshly gardened ingredients, the quality, and the fact that it's in a big city, yes.

Most Americans who don't live in a bigger city are usually shocked by the idea of $8 for a bowl of noodles and soup, I've noticed. :-D

Hiroyuki said...

Ruminating Roy: Thanks for your information. I think I get the picture.

As for the noodles, I wouldn't mind paying 400-600 yen for a bowl of ramen, but not more. How come some people are willing to pay more than 1,000 yen for a bowl of ramen...

Sissi said...

The master looks very nice! I would feel almost at home there ;-) The food looks delicious too and it's so cheap. Do they sell alcohol too? I wonder what is the "thermal humidifier"? No wonder you couldn't resist going there...

Hiroyuki said...

Sissi: I think they do. How can they say no when a customer says, "I'd like some beer, please", and it's an izakaya!

"Thermal humidifier"? Sorry, I have no idea, but I think it keeps the French fries hot and crispy.

Fräulein Trude said...

Very nice shop, very nice prices and the master seems to be a nice guy too - you are lucky! The japanese restaurant near my office sells sushi and bento set meals during lunchtime from 7.50 - 12.50 Euros, miso soup included. Last time I had miso soup, tempura (different vegetables and big shrimps) and a small radish pickle side dish for 8.50 Euros - beverage not included. Evening prices are much higher.
Besides humidifier - here it is one http://gdkangda.en.alibaba.com/product/236813935-202395004/Temperature_and_humidity_controllable_thermal_humidifier_ED_2.html

Hiroyuki said...

Kiki: It's good to know that you have such a nice Japanese restaurant near your office.

Thanks for the link. So, that machine should be capable of controlling both temperature and humidity. Learning new things every day!

Sissi said...

Thanks a lot, Kiki, for the link.
You are lucky to have such a nice restaurant near your office. Prices are very low too! (Compared to Switzerland at least).

Yangsze said...

That sounds so delicious! How nice to have an izakaya like that near you!

Hiroyuki said...

YSC: Yes, it's very nice. This is the third izakaya that has opened at the same location, and is certainly the best of the three.