January 23, 2013

Today's Bento (Jan. 23)/今日のお弁当(1/23)

My wife allowed me to take a photo of today's bento, although unwillingly.
妻は、今日の弁当の写真を嫌々ながら撮らせてくれました。
Left side, from top to bottom:
1.  Cabbage and shio (salted) kombu seasoned with ponzu, made this morning
2.  Atsuyaki tamago (thick rolled omelet), made this morning
3.  Chicken thigh and naga negi pan-fried with soy sauce and mirin (yakitori without skewers), made as part of supper last night
4.  Wiener sausage pan-fried with ketchup, made this morning

Right side:
Rice topped with deseeded and chopped umeboshi and katsuobushi seasoned with soy sauce and mirin, previously made by me (chopped "ume katsuo") and "magic furikake", which I made last night
左側、上から下へ:
1.  キャベツと塩昆布のポン酢和え。今朝作った。
2.  厚焼き玉子。今朝作った。
3.  鶏のももと長ねぎをしょう油とみりんで炒めたもの(串なしの焼き鳥)。昨晩、夕飯に作った。
4.  ケチャップと炒めたウインナーソーセージ。今朝作った。

右側:
ご飯。私が作っておいた、種を抜いて刻んだ梅干と鰹節をしょう油とみりんで味付けしたもの(刻んだ「梅かつお」)と、私が昨晩作った「魔法のふりかけ」が載っている。

6 comments:

Joanna said...

Your wife may not be happy, but the bento look wonderful to me. I grew up in a family where my lunch was always a cream cheese bagel and a box of orange juice, until I was just given some money to buy from the cafeteria instead. Having a full meal in a bento box is incredible compared to the standards of many countries all over the world!

Hiroyuki said...

Joanna: Thanks for your comment. I'm not sure if my wife is happy or not, but probably she doesn't feel bad about my posting photos of her bento in my blog no matter how commonplace (or dull) they may be, as long as they are good enough for my son.

Sissi said...

Hiroyuki, please thank your wife! I have my eyes wide open every time I see her bento and you describe it. I like the chicken and negi without skewers idea. The rice topping looks very interesting too. You have reminded me my tamagoyaki pan (I brought from Japan) is still in its package... I have no courage to try making the Japanese omelet. A very flavoursome looking bento!

Hiroyuki said...

Sissi: I guess you will have to make at least three attempts to use the tamagoyaki pan until you feel comfortable using it. That being said, I don't use my rectangular tamagoyaki pan because I feel comfortable using a regular, round frying pan to make atsuyaki tamago.

As for the "magic furikake" as a rice topping, I thought it was too much. When my son came home, I asked him about it, and he said, "It was good!"

Miko said...

i like the bento with mushrooms..looks yummy. how do you make the rice like light olive color ? what is ponzu ?

Hiroyuki said...

Miko: Light olive color? You mean the "magic furikake" on the rice or the "ume katsuo (or gatsuo)" at the center of the rice?
Use the search feature of Blogger if you want to know the recipe for each.

Ponzu (or ponzu joyu, to be exact) is a seasoning made by combining citrus juice, soy sauce, dashi, and others.